Friday, March 20, 2009

Boat Food: Surf and Turf x 2

Last week, I was lucky enough to escape to Florida for a mini-spring break trip- it's not the worst state to be from when you get sick of northern winters! After a few great days at my best friend Mel's house in Jupiter, we drove up to Stuart to spend the weekend on my dad's boat- the infamous Cat Sass (say that slowly, and try not to laugh too hard).


But anyway, this is a food blog, so let's talk about what we ate! Friday night, my dad brought out these bad boys from the freezer- spiny Florida lobster tails he'd caught in the Keys last summer.

How to improve on perfection? Well, I guess some filets wouldn't hurt.


Dad threw the lobsters and steaks on the grill, I roasted some asparagus and made a chopped salad, and Mel overcame her seafood aversion in honor of the lobsters. It was the perfect boat meal!

(bliss)

Saturday night, Dad was eager to show off his new toy- a quesadilla maker. Uusally I'm not one for gadgets solely devoted to one thing, since my teeny D.C. condo kitchen is rather limited on storage space (although I make an exception for my ice cream maker!), but I had to admit that this was a good find. We had some leftover steak and lobster, so I sauteed some onions and peppers with the meat for the quesadilla filling.


Dad took over to show off the quesadilla maker's skills, and look how gorgeous that is- surf n' turf quesadilla!


In case you're in the market for one now, Dad stresses that you must get the model with the chili pepper on top- apparently the others are just sub-par. I'm not sure if the quesadillas would be quite as amazing as they were after a beautiful Florida day out on the water, but it's worth a shot!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! So glad we went. I had an awesome time and the food was delicious (no thanks to me). =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot about step 1: Have Dad and Bryan catch the lobsters for you. You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete